When budgets don’t allow for hiring professionals, University Communications recommends that staff or student employees seek photography training.
Here are some tips for photographing events and people on campus:
- Capture action and interaction
- For group or individual shots, move in close to fill the picture with your subjects
- At social events, avoid photographing people who are chewing food or holding drinks
- Pay attention to lighting: When indoors, use the camera’s flash to give more light. When outdoors, avoid having your subject in direct sunlight, which causes harsh shadows. Instead, pick cloudy days or shady areas when photographing people.
- Set your camera’s picture size (resolution) to its highest setting. Low-resolution photos are not usable for print publications and some Web use.
If photos will be used for the University’s website, keep in mind the site’s heavy horizontal orientation.